Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Reading Reflection 2

One of the things the article opened my eyes up to was the idea that nations that attain a certain level of prosperity leads to a student shift into studies of humanities and the arts. Once this concept was explained, it made perfect sense to me and I fell is a very valid point. Another thing I learned is that there is a name for the teaching strategy that goes along the lines, this is how I teach, some will learn, some will not, it is up to them. This poor and unfortunately often used strategy is called triage. The third thing I learned was that in many districts almsot one third of the budget was spent on special education. Realistically, special education makes up probably 5% of the students (the article claims 10%, but they may be including kids with ADD), so they should not take up 33% of the budget, this is ridiculous.

The biggest point that I disagree with is the emphasis the authors put on software as an important delivery device for modularity. I think software is a great tool to use to learn the standards, but group interaction must lead to deeper thinking. I also disagreed how the author suggested that the teacher with 5 classes and 120 students and a huge amount of students. 24 students in a class seems like a dream sitaution to me. Last, I would like to learn more about the last section of the article, pertaining to if we can customize economically. The authors believe that yes we can, but we must take small steps to get their. I would like to see more thought put into this and see what a plan to move a district or city to this model would look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment